Thursday, June 18, 2009

Thing #8

Ahhhhh, copyright. What a fun thing we deal with every year in my field. However, many publishers and composers work very well with marching bands and allow us to use and adapt their music. I had not heard of the Creative Commons until now. What a great tool to use when dealing with things on the internet. I can see how it can make both teaching and learning easier because it can really open the door to so much material. It makes me wonder if there are any musical arrangements that use it. I know composers and publishers are very picky with their works many times and are afraid someone will adapt them poorly and I certainly understand that. In fact, that is why you do not hear a lot of current popular music played by marching bands because copyrights have become so restrictive. I really like the idea of the CC and I am looking forward to spending some time researching it as it deals with music and marching band.

1 comment:

  1. Let us know if you find something interesting. I could spend hours looking around!

    ReplyDelete