Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Thing #14

So I am really thinking about this......I am reading all these wikis and seeing the cooperation and collaboration of the teachers, students, parents, grandparents, friends, and yes, even strangers. I am really impressed. I am thinking about this because I teach in a classroom without written assignments, without computers, but I am wondering how I can make this a part of our organization. I took a class on wikis a few years ago and I tried one for awhile but did not stay with it. This makes me want to try again. Anyway, I enjoyed reading through the various ones and here are the ones that stand out to me. I liked the Thousands Project. This is one in which students ask questions, but open it up for answers from anywhere. The questions are organized very well, listed by month and many of theme have a "theme" to them. Another one that I enjoyed a lot was Schools in the Past. This is also a question and answer wiki, but the questions are asked of parents and grandparents and then posted by the students. However, it is open to anyone that wants to post about their school experience. In this wiki, spelling, and organization are not that important, just content. Some other sites that are different, but I enjoyed reading were the Westwood Schools Computer Science and FHS Wolves Den. These are for High School students and are more structured in nature. For instance, they are written and posted by a select group of students and instructor. The information is given about various projects and assignments and then those are posted for all to read, review and share. In fact, the Westwood is a closed wiki and says so. If you are not a member of the class, you cannot join!
I am sure the students are very proud of their sites, because we all know when students are given ownership of something, they really can make it special.

No comments:

Post a Comment