Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Thing 20

I think Google Docs might just be the most useful thing I have learned about in this course. I am a list and spreadsheet nut and am always using those type of tools to organize all of my office work and student's work. I found it very easy to work with so far, and will spend more time in the next few weeks trying things out. I did not do a work document for my sample, I went ahead and did a calender. We are in a busy season with the band right now, getting ready for summer band, and so I just put my summer band calender on it. I have worked with some other calender programs and found them somewhat difficult to use. This one was very easy. Also, when I am in the process of developing the calender, I can send it to all of the other directors (6) and they can put their dates on it so that we will have a really nice master calender to use for planning. I use spreadsheets to track the students tests, playoff scores, fundraising monies paid, and fees paid. Some of them (especially the ones that list specific amounts on them), I will not be able to use in a shared format because not everyone needs to see that type of information, but some of them that show where the students are in their progress (just like the one used for this course) will be very helpful. Also, in addition to my duties here at MHS in the band office and with my own students, I also organize, schedule, and administrate the UIL Solo and Ensemble for Music Region 3. I use a spreadsheet to schedule everything, and this tool will allow me to get input from the other directors in the region when I am scheduling their students. I have seen google docs used some this year and I am glad to be able now to work with it myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment